Friday, April 4, 2014

Wormfarm

I hope all of these earworms are feeding my brain in the same way that a worm farm feeds the garden, rather than eating it away. Too many this morning and it would be a day's work to identify some of them, which are in my partner's collection of classical CDs.
One thing about having too many is that they clear quickly when I get out of bed. I was struggling for inspiration for today's poem when I heard a great parody satirising a radio presenter that I like to listen to. It reminded me of a parody that I had begun writing to a friend who is critical of social media etiquette. The unfinished parody was based on Shakespeare's Shall I compare thee to a summer's day and has taken on another form. I have also employed the device where the last line defies the rhyme (for obvious reasons)

Shall I reply to thee with emoticons?
I think I’d better not
A smiley face is not your style
They don’t come with blood and snot
Better to use parentheses
To enclose some words of wit
Rather than the email silence
That says I’m in your bad books



No comments:

Post a Comment