Thursday, April 3, 2014

The dark side of the street

This morning's earworm was just one line - 'The dark side of the street' - complete with brass accompaniment, running through my head when I awoke. It's from Van Morrison's Bright Side of the Road and I hadn't looked closely at the lyrics before. I like the light/dark metaphor and the references to time passing. Here's some great examples from poets who knew a thing or two about metaphor. This is my metaphor poem inspired by Bright Side of the Road

Ravelling

I pluck the thread
it spirals into a heap
a spaghetti of bumpy bits
worn and weary bits
plies made stringy and thin
by moths, silverfish and elbows
I am ready, it says,
my memory is sound
I will bounce back to be
rewashed, rewound, repaired, reknitted
each stitch kissed by knotted fingers


No comments:

Post a Comment