Monday, April 7, 2014

Anthem

Working class man. Blue denim, likeable blokey and I hadn't expected to wake up with Jimmy Barnes shrieking in the morning. I heard the song on the radio yesterday. It is a stirring lyric and an anthem for a one or more generations. A good song and an anthem of sorts. I am Woman is a more universal anthem. There is something that appeals to me about 'localised' or 'personalised' anthems. They are often about ages and stages, and expectations. Here is my anthem (not autobiographical)

She knitted hot pants for a friend
An intricate sweater for a crush
That he kept as he asked for the ring
A layette for a friend
Who threw it in the washing machine
And shrunk the friendship
She made sweaters for oil-smothered penguins
Squares for charity blankets
Tree adornments and bike stand coverings
She knitted herself a scarf
In silky yarn with a fine lace pattern





No comments:

Post a Comment