Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mindful Knitting

Sitting and knitting did for me what sitting quietly didn't. I lasted about 5 minutes over three days. On the first day, the Philosopher Cat (pictured below) tracked me down for a cuddle as I was sitting quietly - a privilege because she generally keeps to herself. She never stays long, and when she had departed, I picked up my knitting and I focused on the pattern as a mantra.

The pattern is for a scarf with frilled ends. It’s my own creation, or as much as anything one knits can be one’s own creation. The ends have a Christmas bell kind of look, it is in a very Christmassy red 8 ply (double knitting/worsted) – a strange choice of activity and project for an unusually warm and humid post-Christmas Melbourne summer.

After quite a bit of unraveling (myself and the yarn) I’m close to grafting the two ends of the scarf together. I am quite familiar with Kitchener Stitch, particularly using it to graft seamless toes for socks, but information on grafting patterned (rib and purl) stitches is more of a challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Kitchener stitch before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitchener Stitch is often bestowed with a less glamorous term, 'grafting', in Australian pattern books, particularly those for socks. However, if you look up 'grafting' even with 'knitting' as a key word on the web, you are likely to come across all sorts of medical sites that refer to the finer points of surgical cranio-facial manouevres.

    ReplyDelete