Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Joined

I grafted the two ends of my scarf almost invisibly (picture soon) after reading several pages of The Principles of Knitting, by June Hemmons-Hiatt. It's a big book with close to 600 pages, but the writing is tight - before reading the instructions about grafting, the author set some pre-reading from earlier pages.

Hemmons Hiatt has an entertaining, authoritative voice along the same lines as Elizabeth Zimmerman.

My friend Paul writes for comedians, so he is always on the lookout for gags and punchlines. When he was browsing my bookshelf, he saw my copy of the book.
'The Principles of Knitting!' he chortled, 'wasn't that banned?'

Well, it is as rare as a banned book. The book was published in the 1980s and has been in scarce supply ever since. Rumours of a new edition sparks lots of anticipation on knitters' sites. Check out some of the prices for used copies here.

I didn't tell Paul the price that it is selling for on Amazon, in case he decided to abduct the book as a joke.

1 comment: