Tuesday, July 27, 2010

On sock knitting

I used to think knitting socks was a waste of time. Why would you? They are so cheap to buy and so on. And then my elder brother had a big birthday coming up and I decided that all I could give a man who had everything was a hand-knitted pair of socks. I added a personal message knitted in a contrasting colour close to the band.

I managed to finish the first sock for the Significant Birthday and then the second one for the Significant Birthday Plus One Year. Before long another of my brothers was due for a Significant Birthday, then a sister-in-law...
 
My next pair will be a pair of spiral socks. Spiral socks have no heels, but because they are made from a spiralling rib pattern that clings and massages the feet and legs, they fit well. They are good bed socks too. Each time they are washed, the indentations where the heels have been are smoothed out, which extends the life of the heel and probably the toe.

Good vegie knitting.

2 comments:

  1. I just commented to my sister that this winter my feet are always cold in the evening. I think 2010 might be The Year of the Sock in Melbourne.

    Are spiral socks easy to knit? Oops! Just noticed you have a link. I'll go and check. (Still knitting my scarf, after about fifteen years of no knitting. Please keep blogging. It's inspirational.)

    ReplyDelete