Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sock's Lament

recidivist n. one who relapses [into crime]


Well I see you’ve bought some boucle back with needles from the yarn shop
While I’ve been waiting here, living with my fear
Of my stitches being ripped out to the top
Oh I hate to nag, but you’ve hit a snag
In the Year to Finish Off

[Chorus]
What about me, it isn’t fair
Socks need a heel, to walk somewhere
Can’t you see, please come and sit
Grab the needles and just knit

And I’m lying on the table and I'm worried I'm about to drop
I’m staring down the cats, they’d love to come and play
And once they do you know they’ll never stop
Once I hit the ground, so much wool around
You’d have to start it all again

[Chorus]
What about me, it isn’t fair
I'm half of one, you need a pair
Can’t you see, just how I feel
Please come and turn my blasted heel

[Bridge]
So take a step back and see abandoned projects
In lots of bags but they cry out that
Their yarns are still good
So listen, as they whisper
What about me

Still waiting on the table, I'm waiting for a heel that’s turned
Nothing’s changed, no stitches rearranged
Feeling like a lover who’s been spurned
With a bit of luck, you will pick me up
Then to the world I'll say

[Chorus]
Will you look at me, thought she didn’t care
I’m a hand knit sock, I'm a joy to wear
Slip me on, I’ll massage your feet
Just one more I’ll be complete

What about it?

5 comments:

  1. Get those socks finished! They are suffering.

    By the way, came over to ask if you've seen this site - came across it. http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/tsffaq.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee - isn't that a great name for a knitter? - also known as the Yarn Harlot. She has published some great books and is shaping up to be the Elizabeth Zimmerman of a new generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, I am knitting! And for the first time this century, I would say. We have had such warm winters over the last decade that I haven't had the urge to sit with my lovely warm balls of wool spread around me, creating, creating.

    I'm only knitting a scarf, I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! A convert! How are you at knitting socks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socks I hadn't previously thought of, but now I'm wondering, after reading about the progress (or non-progress) of your socks. I bought a nice little knitted hat at Warburton this weekend.

    ReplyDelete